Sunday, September 03, 2006

Good-bye D.C.

August 15, 2006

Never in my life have I been built up and broken down, and then built up again like I have in DC. The last month in DC was exciting, heartbreaking, emotional and never-ending. As I sat down in National (still refusing to call it Reagan) to wait for my plane, I stared at the Capitol in the distance and reflected.

DC. This is the land I once refused to ever call home, but somehow, it had come to feel like "home." The place where I stretched my activism and nurtured my passion. Here is where I have witnessed the most devastating poverty in the United States and seen the most encouraging struggles. I have loved like never before, and my heart, and all the plans and hope within it, has broken like never before. I have been mentored and shaped by saints, sins, brillance and bureaucrats. I have been inspired by some of the most passionate people I have ever encountered and been disillisioned by egos and grandiosity. I have lost friendships through distance and ideology, and gained relationships with true love and meaning. College may have scuplted my mind, but D.C. molded my heart.

As my plane took off and I peered over the "alabaster city" tears pooled up in my eyes. This once strange land was losing its converted stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment