Friday, September 08, 2006

Chicago, Chicago

August 20-28, 2006

La Familia. The time spent visiting my family was difficult than most visits. My mom is battling cancer (for those of you that this is news to, I apologize, and also shudder at the fact that in this age I can share news like that over a freggin' blog) and it was difficult for me to see her in the emotional, physical and mental state that that I'm not used to seeing her in. But despite the stress the good-bye was my usual bout of tears and bawling. My parents brought me to the airport and as I lugged my suitcases through the doors, my mom called out to me, "We're proud of you, Rachy." More tears.

Aeropuerto. I approached the check-in counter with tears and my red crying face, checked my bags and was issued my boarding pass. I overheard one of the women behind the counter comment about the men's soccer team that would be flying out that night. I sort of smiled to myself and wondered what that was all about. I walked to my gate and listened to music, trying to hold back my tears. About 30 minutes before boarding the soccer team started rolling in to the waiting area. Little groups of college-aged boys slowly trickled in wearing white and blue-trimmed jerseys.

Trent and soccer. I boarded the plane and soon discovered that I would be the proud seatmate of my very own guapisimo freshman soccer player. Trent is from Minnesota (why can I never get enough of you Minnos!) and beginning his first year at Creighton University in Nebraska. He filled me in on team gossip and dynamics. We talked about his plans for college and I gave him plenty of unsolicited advice about how to make the most of the years. I laughed as he showed me his book "Beginners Socrates: Difficult Thought Made Easy" and just giggled about the hilarity of the entire situation of being on a plane full of young, hot soccer boys. My trip was beginning just perfectly (silly). I said good-bye to Trent and his teamsters and headed to the South side of Chicago for our orientation.

Orientation. Redundant. Emotionally exhaustive. Hopefully helpful later in the year during reflection.

Chi-town. This someday will be my stomping grounds. If I can stay sane through the bitter winters, I may attempt to make this my settlement (unless I get tempted to fly off to Spain or live in Buenos Aires). I went out with friends of friends, danced away in the Greek festival and took a sunset boat cruise on Lake Michigan. Simply exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment