Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What's all this about death?



This weekend I went to watch a procession of Jesus's walk to his death. This takes place all over Mexico, including actual reenactments of the crucification- blood and all. Easter Sunday is not so big. Thinking it might be a Latino, Catholic thing, I asked my best friend, Joy, living in Bolivia what she is doing for Viernes Santo (Good Friday) and she sort of said, "nothing- it's not that big here."

While touring some small towns here with a friend I noted this to her and she responded, "We're a culture that celebrates death. That's why it is big here." And then I thought, of course. Mexico's biggest holidays include Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), a day when millions flock to the graves of loved ones, build altars to the dead. Colorful paper cut-outs, colorful candles, colorful candies. Good Friday, the day when we generally mourn Jesus' death in our Protestant traditions, looks just as colorful with bright sawdust and flower carpets in the streets, and flowers everywhere. It kind of fascinates me and makes me wonder, "how can death truly be celebrated?" How can the end of something, supposedly good, be celebrated? When the good times are on, I want the good times to last. Not die. Much less be happy about the good times ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment